Wednesday, January 1, 2014

MIssion Statement / Nerd Alert

I had a couple of reasons to start this blog really, maybe three.  Here goes.

Lets call this my New Year's resolution for 2014:  One post a week or so on a comic that I think needs me to sing it's praises to whoever might accidentally land here and feel like listening because it might not be catching enough eyes on the shelf...

So here's my secret origin, so you'll know who is trying to get you to spend your hard earned bit coins.

My name's Douglas and I very recently moved to an small, rural eastern Kentucky town.  And that is the nicest way of saying I'm easily more than an hour away from... just about anything and anyone I have any kind of relationship with aside from my wife and my 3 little girls.

Long origin story short:  My wife was offered a position at a local College, hidden away in a virtual Mayberry, as a Professor and a Librarian.  It was a College we have both always held in very high esteem for it's commitment to providing social mobility to those who would be unable to afford it so it was just an impossible opportunity to pass up.  It's a pretty awesome place to be a part of and I'm really proud of her.  It's also hands-down where we want our three little girls to go to college.

As an added bonus, I was also able to transfer and pursue my Criminology degree at a much more prestigious University with a great Criminal Justice program.  It was a no-brainer.

So as a side-effect of that move, I've ended up leaving my local comic shop, and all my nerdy comic book and movie film freak friends behind.  And it's rough.  ROUGH.  I'm the kid with nowhere and nobody to sit with in the lunchroom of life here now.

These girls I live with just don't seem to care about my views on Prometheus or how badass Brandon Graham is at writing / drawing Prophet.  They don't "get it" when I describe how Ready Player One was sent from the future to kill my bookshelf boredom.  They just don't care.

I've been reading comics regularly since I was 4 or 5 years old.  I don't think it's a habit I'm capable of breaking or one that I'd want to break... ever.  But part of the fun is sharing and discussing all the awesome tidbits, the ephemera, the minutia of it all.  And I've officially lost my comic book support group.

That's where this blog comes in... A HEROIC DOSE of all the things I think are badass and deserving of attention.  And an excuse to talk about it.


Hope to see you around, and make sure to subscribe!




No comments: